HOUSE EXTENSIONS LONDON
We have worked on several property extensions across London, where the extension not only added valuable floor space but dramatically changed the way the owners live. An extension opens up possibilities of creating and using space in ways you didn’t know were an option. Whether it’s a kitchen extension or a living room, home office or a games room, an extension, single storey or double can transform a home and the way you live.
TYPES OF EXTENSIONS
Single Storey back extension
If you have a good-sized garden at the back of the house, you could extend the back of the house out (subject to planning rules) and create a more intimate experience with your garden. Large sliding or bifold doors along with an open plan space, can give you an added sense of light and air and almost brings the outdoor, indoors.
Double Storey back extension
If you feel you need more living space upstairs, perhaps larger bedrooms or an en-suite bathroom or a home office, you could build additional space on top of your
single storey extension. In some of the properties we have worked on, we have created luxurious bedrooms with walk- in closets, fitted wardrobes, children’s studies and guest rooms... the possibilities are limitless.
Several homes have space between the side of their homes and the fence. Why not think about extending the house into this space? For many home owners this is the perfect opportunity to open up the kitchen, create a home gym a guest room or a room for ageing parents or even a home office with perhaps a separate entrance.
Wrap around extension
As the name suggests, a wrap around extension is a side and back extension around the existing home. You are effectively changing the layout of the house in totality, allowing you to re configure and re plan how you use the area. You could open up the downstairs completely (this is currently what’s on trend in London), to give yourself an open plan kitchen-living space or create a games room or even a state of the art cinema room.
1. Hire the right architect... If you need help finding a contemporary residential architect in London, please download our free Architect Guide, with a list of some of our favourite residential architects .
2. Get planning permission. All extensions do not require planning permission and depending on how far out you intend to extend, you might be within permitted development rights. Make sure you check with your local council.
3. Hire a sound structural engineer. It is likely that your architect has a structural engineer in his team or works with an independent structural engineer. The structural engineer is key to ensuring load-bearing walls are not knocked down or have been reinforced with the right size of steel beams.
4. Sign a Party Wall Agreement with your neighbour – This is essential, especially if you are doing a side extension. Chances are that if your property is in London, your home boundary will be very close to your neighbours. Protect yourself and them by ensuring you both enter into a party wall agreement. You will need a party wall specialist for this.
- Appoint an interior designer...An interior designer will guide you on the best use of your space.
- Appoint the right builder (hopefully that’s us) We are one of the leading house renovation companies in London
Extending your home has several benefits, not least adding value to your property. An extension that is well constructed has the potential to change the way you live by creating a space that works for your home and family.
BOOK YOUR FREE
Book a free consultation in the comfort of your own home and share your design ideas with us. Our team will then come up with a unique solution for you and your home.Book Now