Kitchen Extensions London
The kitchen is, in most homes, its heart. It should be a place of comfort, pride and joy. It is not wonder then, that more and more homeowners are investing in creating and building kitchen extensions that make it the central hub of the home..
The kitchen can be extended at the back of the house if there is enough garden space or to the side of the house. One of the current kitchen extension trends in London is to create an open-plan space incorporating the kitchen with a central island or breakfast bar, a dining area and a living/tv area, with panoramic sliding or bifold doors leading out into the garden, giving the space a sense of light, air and openness.
From a functional viewpoint, a kitchen extension can add much needed storage solutions and free up your work surfaces with space-saving cupboards and shelves and might give you the additional space for a utility area. As
with any extension, the options are limitless.
Basement extension kitchens are also extremely popular, particularly in the South West London area, where it’s possible to build downwards but not out or to the side. With a basement extension or conversion, you can create a kitchen-diner space that extends across the ground floor area of your home; a space where you can entertain, relax, cook together and create memories.
If you are thinking about a kitchen extension, you should consider:
1. The layout of the entire space, not just the kitchen as it will have an impact on ‘how you live.’ Here’s a list of layout mistakes to avoid.
2. Appoint an interior designer to help you plan the space...it’s a good idea to understand how you will use the space before starting the work (important for electrical points, plumbing, satellite TV connections, WIFI cabling, windows, etc.)
3. Get a professional kitchen designer to design your kitchen... they will have tips and strategies you didn’t even think of and knowledge of the latest gadgets available on the market (e.g. hot water taps, fridge-freezers, ovens, waste disposal, extractor fans, etc.)
- Think about incorporating skylights or roof lights... These will give invaluable light to the room.
- What sort of roof is your kitchen extension going to have... flat roof or pitched roof?
- Have a realistic budget. Kitchen extensions, particularly if they are basement conversions are not cheap. There
are specific areas you can cut costs such as choosing a Howdens kitchen instead of a Small Bone kitchen for example. However, there are areas where you cannot and should not compromise e.g. quality of building materials, quality of windows, boiler systems, waterproofing systems and anything to do with the structure of the property.
7. Make sure you appoint a professional and experienced builder who can work with your architect, interior designer and kitchen company to give you your dream kitchen. The SDA Build team has years of experience in providing a complete end-to-end building service and are happy to provide you with a quote for your kitchen extension project.
BOOK YOUR FREE
Book a free consultation in the comfort of your own home and share your design ideas with us. Our team will then come up with a unique solution for you and your home.Book Now